Monday, July 13, 2009

Girl's Camp Or Bust!



Well, I've just bid farewell to all my cute little camper girls, and the rest of the Young Women's Presidency. They're on their way to set up camp. I will be joining them Wednesday night and returning home with them on Friday. I'm really sad to stay back and miss the first couple of days, but we still don't have a car.

All the girls met with their gear at 12:30 today at Andrea's (our YW president) house. We have 3 men also driving up and helping haul everything we'll need to take care of 16 Young Women and 4-6 leaders for 5 days! There is A LOT! I hope we got everything!

One of my responsibilities was to be in charge of the nightly handouts. They're to leave on each of the girls' pillows in their tents, kind of like the pillow mint at a hotel. The theme for the Young Men and Young Women in the church this year is:

"Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity". (1 Timothy 4:12).


For camp we took a different principle from that scipture each day for a daily theme. So each day, activites, devotionals, the "nightly news" and all the handouts will be centered around that theme. I thought I would share my handouts with you each day this week, and give you a little glimpse of what we'll be focusing on each day of camp!

The theme for today is "word and conversation". I got some little plastic hand tools and titled it "Are You Building?" I used a quote from Sister Bonnie D. Parkin, who served as Relief Society General President and also served in the Young Women's General Presidency, and the idea that we should use our words to build, not tear down.

I think this is especially important for young people to remember, in the way they interact with, and treat each other.





We used the scout trailer to carry a bunch of our gear, and Kiirsten (1st counselor) made a pink vinyl cutout that says "Girl's Camp Or Bust!" and stuck it on the back of the trailer! We'll leave it there when we return the trailer, and see how long it takes the scouts to notice!

I can't wait to join them! I'll schecule the daily handout posts before I leave, and I'll be back Friday with all my adventures to share!

"We're not required to do what Moroni did and ride through the town with the title of liberty, but we do need to be kind in word and conversation and speak with kindness and respect"

~ Sister Bonnie D. Parkin

16 comments:

Sherrie said...

Ahh...summer camp. The memories. Sorry you will miss the first couple of days. I'm looking forward to your update when you return. Have a Great time!
Sherrie

Shawn said...

I'm sure the first few days will fly by, you'll be there before you know it having a great time!

shortmama said...

Have lots of fun!

MiMi said...

I'm so glad you'll get to be there for at least part of it!! :)
It'll be great.
Macey

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Aw, so sad you have to miss the beginning, but how cool that you still get to go!! :) Love the nightly handout idea. :)

Carrie said...

Oh I love camp this is the first year in six years I haven't helped with day camp oh have fun with those girls!

Becca @ The Texas Darlings said...

Cute handouts! I can't wait to hear all about the rest of them!!

Happy Monday! Have a wonderful week!

~Becca

Grammy Kim said...

The girls will be so excited when you get to camp! Trust me! Hey, I'm coming down next week...maybe I'll finally get to meet you.

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry you are still without a car. That must be very difficult.

I really like the little card you made up. That was very clever!

I hope the girls have a great time and the weather is in their favor!

Jenny-Jenny said...

I'm also on my way to girl's camp tomorrow. My hand out is a can of 7-Up with a note that says: "I CAN be an example of the believers"

Hope you have a great week.

Amy said...

Oh I know Wednesday will be here before you know it.

Heather @ Sugar N Spice Mostly Nice said...

Sounds like you are going to have a blast when you are finally able to go!

Sare said...

OH!! that's great!!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Even without being there, you are making an impact! I love the hammer and the "building" analogy -- I am such a sucker for a good analogy, especially when it helps Cella learn about walking in God's truth.

Clever girl!

Me and My Family said...

I am currently working in the primary as chorister so I don't see much of our young women but I do get my fill of the young men. My husband serves as the scout master in our ward and this week is gone to scout camp. I hope this week goes by quickly too.

Marrdy said...

I so wish I could go! We called those little handouts tuck in treats and they were one of my favorite things to do. I am jealous!