Skip to main content

Aiming High

I often hear people talk about how they don't bother with New Year's resolutions anymore, because they never keep them and then they have guilt, etc.

I've never been able to quite feel comfortable with that perspective for myself.  One of the core principles of my faith is the responsibility to live up to our potential - to be continually improving, striving to be like our Savior and overcoming our weaknesses.  Goal setting seems the most logical way to continue to move forward on the path of self improvement.

A friend and neighbor of mine gave a talk in church last week, and one of the things she talked about was the opportunity goal setting provides for growth and improvement, even when we don't achieve everything we set out to.  She talked about how making some progress on a goal or resolution gets us that much further ahead than we were before.  Or than we would be if we simply chose not to set any goals for ourselves.  This really struck me as something important to remember.

The beginning of a new year seems to leave us all eager to turn the page on the past, start anew and do things better.  Whether we like to call them "resolutions" or not, we all have things in our head that we intend to do better this year.

For me, there is a lot.  But I'm going to try to narrow it down to a main goal or 2 in each of 3 different areas. I don't have it all ironed out yet, but it is going to be the topic of our Family Home Evening lesson tonight.  I'm going to challenge each family member to set a spiritual goal, a goal to help improve our home/family, and a personal improvement goal (like fitness, money management, school, etc.).  I'm still working out a good tracking method that will hopefully help us keep focused and accountable.  I welcome any suggestions!

I know that a big theme for my goals is going to have to be "simplify".  I have a new baby on the way - 4 weeks at the most until she arrives!  I have my school board responsibilities, I also have 3 kids taking music lessons, and 2 of them playing a sport.  There is a lot to complicate my life if I let it and I have got to come up with a way to reduce the stress and enjoy being a mom and wife, because I really don't want to look back and regret my level of enjoyment during my children's growing up years.  I want to remember being happy, and truly enjoying all the experiences we have together.

I'm trying to come up with a plan to be able to fit regular blogging back into my schedule, because I think sharing with my friends my ideas, successes and failures, as well as asking for advice, are great ways to keep me striving to reach my goals.  I hope you'll all be able to help encourage me, and give me suggestions to help me along the journey this year!

Tomorrow I'll tell  you how Family Home Evening went, what I came up with, and maybe share how we're going to track it as well.

Do you set New Year's resolutions?  If so, how do you stay on track, and what is a favorite resolution for this year?

Comments

Outcast said…
I'm a first time reader and new follower but I already love this post and your blog Xazmin, most important will definitely be the baby thing and the year will be based around this and hopefully the Family Home Evening goes well!
Sare said…
I really want to do FHE this year. With kids coming into our home I want to show them how great families can be when they all work together!

Can't wait to see this new baby of yours!!! Sorry I missed getting to see you last month!!!
Sare said…
I really want to do FHE this year. With kids coming into our home I want to show them how great families can be when they all work together!

Can't wait to see this new baby of yours!!! Sorry I missed getting to see you last month!!!
Macey said…
Baby baby! THIS IS THE YEAR you have a baby! :)
Amy said…
I agree with you. When people talk about not wanting to set New Year's Resolutions, it sort of makes me think of something my father always taught us. There is no one to blame, except yourself. Guilt is their spirit's way of telling them they didn't try hard enough. Or their goals were unrealistic. Goal setting is so very important and a huge part of our eternal progression!
I love your idea for FHE! While I was on my mission, I had a companion who told me that growing up they had a Sunday night planning session with the family. Their parents would call all together, they would pull out the calendar, and talk about their activities (practices for sports or music or whatever) and mark it down so their parents knew what was going on in their lives. They also would talk about their goals, and how they were doing on them. It is something I really want to do with my kids when they are older, so I can be very involved in their lives, and always know what is happening. Just a suggestion for you. I hope you find something that will help you and your family!
Emmy said…
I am glad blogging is part of your plan again :) I have missed your blog.

I think most people set big goals or ideas-- but then don't think of specific steps to reach those goals, so they get overwhelmed and just don't bother.
I'm a big believer in goal-setting. It's much more effective than resolutions. Goal-setting helps us get somewhere and leaves room for error, which we will all fall into.

Popular posts from this blog

Mod Podge Mania!

I am so super excited for our first edition of Mod Podge Mania! I love this stuff, and I LOVE getting new ideas for how to use it...so hopefully this will be a great place for "inspiration" where we can all get some fun new ideas! So here's how it will work. Post about a project on your blog, along with instructions on how you created your mod podge masterpiece! OR you can do a post featuring a project you have seen someone else do, just to pass the idea along. Just make sure you give credit where credit is due! Also, make sure to include a link back to my blog in your post! Next, link up by entering your name and copying the URL to your post into Mr. Linky - he's waiting at the bottom of this post. It would be helpful if you put the name of your project along with your name so people will know what they are coming to look at! (example: Xazmin - decorative eggs) Last, go check out everyone's fabulous projects and let the inspiration begin! You can link up as

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

So tell the truth - how many of you thought this would be a pregnancy announcement? Well - I'll have to twist my husband's arm a little more to get him to agree to that one! But this is the beginning of something very exciting...at least I think it is! SO HERE IT IS! Ribbon Blossoms Chic Boutique is now LIVE! And we’re celebrating with an Awesome Giveaway! If you have been following my blog, you know that I have a small business with my friend Tanielle , making and selling hair bows and other girly accessories. Until now we have been selling our items at craft shows and our local boutique mall. We also have had a few of our items listed on Daisy Craft, an online site for handmade items. But now, TODAY …we have our very own WEBSITE !!! Please celebrate with us by entering our Fabulous Girly Giveaway! Now don’t run away if you are not a mother of girls…this prize will make a wonderful baby gift or birthday gift for someone you love! Are you ready? Are you dying to know wha

The Girl With The Headache - update

It's been almost a year since I first posted here about Ambria and her struggle with Post Concussion Syndrome .  At that time Ambria had already been suffering for a year, and I was at the end of my rope.  To quickly recap, Ambria came home from a church dance with a debilitating Migraine one day in late February of 2015.  And it didn't go away.  For months.  She couldn't go to school, or church, or out with friends. Life sort of came to a stand still for her.  She spent most of her days sleeping, and when she wasn't asleep she was like a zombie and in so much pain.  She was eventually diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome.  She'd suffered multiple sports concussions from playing soccer.  She was just supposed to try and treat the pain while waiting for her brain to start working properly again. We had many doctor's visits, tests, dietary changes, different perscriptions, so many things to try and help with the pain.  Nothing helped.  Months kept passing with