Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Diary of a single mother without a vehicle Days 1 & 2

The night before:

Dear Diary,

I am so glad to have this week over! It has been insane - I wasn't sure I would make it through. But it's over and the stress is gone. Tomorrow my guys leave for scout camp and it will be just the girls and I. We won't have a car, but that's okay. Cowgirl is mostly over her strep throat and we have lots of cleaning and organizing projects and yard work to get done. Daddy will be so surprised with what good shape the place is in after being gone for 5 1/2 days! Feeling really motivated!

Day 1:

Dear Diary,

Got up at 6 a.m. to get Hubby and Bookworm out the door. Went back to bed because I was too tired from staying up all night packing to start on the projects for the day. As well as being up dealing with 2 sick little girls. Looks like Cowgirl has passed her strep on to her sisters.

11 a.m. Finally got in gear doing dishes and cleaning the kitchen. Girls are complaining of sore throats but otherwise in good spirits. They are helping with laundry and cleaning up the living room. Going to call Dr to see if he'll call in a perscription without me having to take them in. Cowgirl's office visit and throat culture was $275. Don't wan't to do that 2 more times - being self-employed (uninsured) and all.

Crap. Dr.'s office is closed due to the holiday. Girls seem to be feeling pretty well except for sore throats. Guess I'll just keep an eye on them until tomorrow. Mom's coming over to visit for awhile, then promised the girls we could ride bikes and take dog for a walk. Maybe I'll get some yardwork done while they ride.

8 p.m. Girls were riding bikes when Cowgirl went in to get something. Stupid dog was sick of waiting for her walk and darted out the door. I followed her until she left the neighborhood and tore across the skywalk and into the shopping district. Ran back to the house to hop in the car and cut her off. Realized upon rounding the corner that I have no car. Was determined that I didn't really care and it was her own fault for running away. Then saw the sobbing girls standing in the doorway. With large sigh called mom (who had left less than 20 minutes earlier) and asked her to come back and drive us around looking for stupid dog. Drove around until it was too dark to see anything.

Mom decided to stay the night and she slept in the girls room. I stayed out on the couch with Monkey who was really acting sick and feverish by now. Didn't get a wink of sleep due to my restless couch partner, and my anxiety over lost dog, and listening all night in case she came home.

Day 1 of stress-free, yet productive week - a total bust.

Day 2:

Dear Diary,

Mom left this morning about 8:30. I think I managed to get maybe 2 hours of sleep. Told her goodbye and thank you, and that I would call her when I found out about the perscriptions. She will have to come back and drive me to pick them up. Lame.

Laid back down on the couch by Monkey and had just dozed off when someone knocked on the door. I hopped up, tried to smooth my hair down and look like I hadn't just woken up and opened the door. HUGE sigh of relief as it was a man who had stupid runaway dog in his car. He found her running down the highway (nice) and she spent the night at his house with his 2 dogs. The girls were very pleased to see her. I'm still holding a grudge at her misbehavior. She has never had to sleep outside before and she seems pretty traumatized. She slept most of the day.

I guess the missing dog fiasco was more emotionally draining on me than I thought because I am exhausted. Still - I'm going to force myself to do some yardwork.

4:00 p.m. - Still haven't heard back from the Dr.'s office. Have called 3 times. Both girls are really complaining of sore throats and mouths. Monkey has fever again. I have not accomplished even close to what I wanted to have done today. Now monkey is crying and asking me to go lay down with her. I think I will. I'll set the alarm for 6:30 so I can get up and fix dinner and try to get more yardwork done.

4:30 Just dozed off and Tanielle called to check on us.

4:45 Just dozed off again and mom called to see if we've heard from the Dr.

5:03 Just dozed off again and Dr's office finally called. Needed info on girls' weights to call in perscription. Got out of bed to go weigh Pixie. Monkey is still sleeping.

5:45 Just dozed off again and Kimberlee (BFF cousin) called to ask about lost dog. Decided to just get up.

6:30 Head to Walmart to pick up perscriptions. Stand in line for 10 minutes to be told that perscription isn't in system and they are checking the perscription call-ins and it will be at least 10 more minutes before they know anything. Wander the store and pick up a few things that we need. Head back to counter to be told that they have the perscriptions, but for some reason don't have all the info in the computer that they need. Sent to another window to give them our info. Then I'm told that they will be ready at 7:50. Head to McDonalds to buy healthy, well-balanced meal of chicken nuggets for my family.

7:53 Back in pharmacy line. Wait for 15 minutes to be told that they have to mix the medicine now and it will be just a few minutes. Then am told to go to the next window to pick it up. Wait at window for 7 minutes to get my medicine, then listen to tech explain to me 7 times (I am not even kidding) that tonight it is 1 tsp, but then for the rest of the days it is 1/2 teaspoon, and don't mix it with vitamins or iron supplements.

Sometime way later - so much that I didn't even bother to check - finally on the way home and saying goodbye and thanks again mom.

Once inside give girls their medicine. Monkey is very, VERY medicine-anxious. I have to really fight her to get her to take it. So I make a big deal to Pixie that it tastes GOOD and Monkey WANTS to take it. Pixie initially cooperates, but pulls a face that is telling a different story. As she swallows hers and I squirt Monkey's into her mouth 2 things happen. I can tell Monkey is NOT pleased with the taste and is about to spit it out. I hold her chin up so she has to swallow, and Pixie starts making gagging noises. I tell her "knock it off now!" Too late. Monkey pukes up EVERYTHING she has eaten today. Dose one - down the drain.

Put Monkey in the bath and clean up puke off the kitchen floor.

9:28 Sitting here exhausted making a blog post and wondering if I can muster up the energy to at least do a couple of loads of laundry before collapsing in bed. Plus I want to visit some blogs.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

p.s. My throat is starting to hurt.


IndyGo Wylde said...

I think your week may have been even worse than mine. Sorry to hear the little girls are BOTH feeling crappy. Your mom is a Saint, and you can tell her I said so.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh my good HEAVENS girl. THAT? Is a rough start. *hugs*

Myya said...

I am SOOOO tired for you right now!!! Get better friend, ugghhhh I feel for you!

Myya said...

I am SOOOO tired for you right now!!! Get better friend, ugghhhh I feel for you!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

not looking forward to scout camp week either.

Macey said...

This makes me tired, just reading it! If I lived near you, and wasn't afraid of getting strep, I'd come help! LOL. :)
Stupid dog.

shortmama said...

Oh no! Sounds like a horrible couple of days! Hope tomorrow is better!

Koko said...

Oh I am so sorry! That is so awful to have sickness AND no car AND not be able to get done what you want to AND to have no sleep! Get that brother of yours over and have him take the girls to do something fun (if they feel up to it) while you SLEEP! haha I hope tomorrow is a good one! We had dog issues on Monday too...

Paula@SweetPea said...

Good grief! That wore me out just reading it. I hope that everyone in your household is back to normal very soon!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooh, girl, what a start. :( I am so sorry!!! Are your guys at the Boyscout Jamboree in Virginia? I hope things are looking up today!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a hard week indeed! I pray you all feel well very soon.

Sami said...

I'm so sorry! I wish I lived closer so I could lend a hand! I think once he hubby gets back, you have at the very least earned a trip to the grocery store by yourself. That, and a nice long NAP...

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh no! I hope you are not getting sick too. So sorry you are having such a bad week!


FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh no! this post was two days ago and your absence makes me think you might have strep too. Bless your heart! So sorry you're having such a bad week!!!